Sunday, August 28, 2011

I can see clearly now the rain is

I have to learn not to do any bike maintenance or replace parts the day before a long ride or race. Or at the least, test ride my bike first. Anyways.

Yesterday I put a larger cassette on my bike to help on those lovely little hills in San Antonio and Clermont. I also took apart my aerobar so I could clean the bolts and replace them if needed. No bolts needed replacing. By the time I put it all back together, it was too late and dark for a test ride. Nothing like sleeping with your fingers crossed.

On the way to San An, it began to storm. A little. Normally I would turn around because I do not like to ride in the rain. I will ride in it if I am already out there but not from the get go. Once at San An, it started clearing. I grouped up with some fellow riders and we headed out. As fate would have it, I was about 2 miles from the start when I hit a good size bump in the road and it then that I was reminded that I did not tighten my handlebar neck enough. My handlebars went from level to.....not level. Well you get the point. I rode back and fixed this mess.

I was able to catch back up with a couple of the riders.

I again rode my pace and tried to ride either alone or off the back. The new cassette worked out and have I mentioned how much I love Accelerade. Accelerade also has gels so I will be ordering those.

I was able to ride 62 miles and run 4. I then stood under the outdoor shower for another 20 minutes. I felt so good this time that I was going to swim at 3 but the pool was packed and Brooke did not show so I will swim first thing in the a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment